2/02/2006

Leaping Before Looking

Ever leaped before you looked?

That's what I'm starting to think I did by accepting this new position. While I'm grateful that I am working and have an income again, I'm starting to wonder if the stress, high pace and increasing travel expenses are worth it.

For starters, the job is in Hoffman Estates, IL, which is about 40 miles northwest of where I live. It takes one hour to get to work (driving) and just under an hour to get home (again, driving). There's no train or bus in the area. Once there I'm on the phone talking to students for about 7 hours a day or more (literally). Some students are just missing one or two forms, while others want to completely withdraw because this particular university is very expensive. It is very stressful; even tonight I left with my neck, shoulders and back stiff. I'm totally drained and very exhausted.

I came home tonight and started firing off my resume again.

7 comments:

Ladynay said...

Stress kills....till you find a new spot you gotta find a way to ease some of that stress!

Harold Gibson said...

I guess we can all dream about that perfect job, but something will always be in the way, it may be travel, stress, money, the people we work with..Sometimes we have to give it time and ourselves time to adjust before we give up on it.

That Dude Right There said...

Do what I did when I had a job that I hated. I smiled each time I paid a bill or took a look at my car or look in my refrigerator.

Troy N. said...

Get some telephone headphones, but phone work is a killer. Monsterdotcom that resume, today.

Clay said...

i hate when that happens especially if it's a job you're not really feeling .... keep on searching till you find what you want

ShawnQt said...

wait till you get paid, then get back to me,lol.

Mr. Maurice said...

Well as long you got something to do until a new gig comes for you.. Deal with it. It will get better once you learn your job more.