11/12/2008

It's Gonna Be A Jagermeister Day

I guess from the title you can pretty much see how my day has been.

Let us begin with work. There is a new database that we use to enter our weekly reports (which no one likes by the way). The person in charge of all of the reporting, our operations manager in our home office, hosted a conference call with all of the admins today to gauge feedback about the new database. When the call started she asked if anyone wanted to go first.

I couldn't start speaking fast enough.

I told her that my team basically thought it was too cumbersome, information overload, not user friendly, and too time consuming. Again, I'm playing the messenger. Her response was simply to not really listen or "feel" where I (and several other admins) were coming from. It got to a point whereas I felt as if I was just talking to a wall. People starting hanging up. I end up with a minor headache and a desire to have a Jagermeister shot.

And it's just 11:30.

Then, after I did grab some lunch and return, I had two more phone calls to return before I could EAT the lunch (McDonald's). Those calls took another hour. So it's now 1:45 and I'm just sitting down to eat....keep in mind that I got the food at about 12:30.

Finally, another realization sank in. Andre, this, uh....individual, yeah that's the word I'll use....that I used to socialize with, stopped by my house a few evenings ago. We talked, had a cocktail and got caught up. (We hadn't seen each other in a few months.) I guess I should've seen it coming when the conversation went this way:

Andre: So I was talking with (name withheld) a couple of months ago and he brought up your status.
Tim: What status are you talking about? (Plays stupid)
Andre: You know what I'm talking about.
Tim: If I knew what you were talking about I wouldn't have asked. It also would mean that I can read your mind and guess this week's lottery numbers.
Andre: Your HIV status - are you positive or not?
Tim: Yes, I'm positive.
Andre: Why didn't you tell me?
Tim: Uh, we're just hanging out, I didn't know I needed to disclose just to have a cocktail or hang out with you.

Needless to say, when he left I didn't expect to hear from him again. This is holding true. I have not heard from Andre since that night. I guess that not only living with the virus but being open about it will bring all of the ignorant people out of the woodwork that want a quick piece of you, and then will run away. To be perfectly honest, those are the miserable people out there, not me.

Oh, before I go, if you are a fan of my blog (thank you!!!) and are in the DC area, I will be visiting next weekend (the weekend of the 21-23rd). Drop me an e-mail and maybe we can go out for drinks or something.

End Transmission.

2 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I know all too well about those long days - I have them all the time. But you know, that's why they pay you the big bucks sir!

Ming Dynasty said...

Wouldn't you rather have people around you that support you and love you for who you are???

That may be 1 person or 30, but you're lucky to find 1...with or without HIV.

Keep your head up.