8/04/2009

Where I've Been

I've just returned from a four-day road trip to Richmond, Virginia with Chris to attend his family reunion, and I have to say it's good to be home.

Our trip started on Thursday morning at about 5:00am when we pulled out of Chicago heading east. We took the toll roads all of the way there. I have to admit, the trip down is absolutely beautiful, with the greenery, the mountains (more on that in a second) and the scenery. Of course, this being my first serious road trip, I was excited, but I had no idea what I was in store for.

The trip does go through mountains. Or should I say OVER them. Coming down from the mountains through Pennsylvania, it was beautiful but absolutely scary at the same time. Winding through curves and a 6% downgrade, you could look in front of you and see NOTHING. That's right, one wrong move and you're done. I even had a slight panic attack going, but after getting through it, it was a piece of cake coming back.

Being back on the east coast felt really good, once we finally got there. (It takes about 13+ hours by the way.) The family reunion was very interesting, getting an opportunity to meet more members of Chris' family, seeing his mother and the kids again, and of course, Chris' crazy brothers, one of whom I lovingly call "stickboy". Chris does have one uncle that we thought would have a serious issue with our relationship, but he pretty much avoided us during the entire reunion, so that was no big deal. We also had a chance to catch up with some of Chris' friends in Richmond, and we all had dinner together and shot the breeze over cocktails and food at this restaurant called O'Charlies in Richmond. It was truly a lot of fun!

Coming back we were supposed to leave Richmond at 5:00am, but we didn't hit the highway until about 11:00am, 6 hours behind. We got through the mountains and part of the way through Ohio before it got really dark, at which point I had the trucks that were on the road "carry" me all the way back across the Illinois state line. Believe me, the "Welcome to Chicago" sign was a very welcome sight!! We pulled into the house at 1:15am and immediately crashed.

Needless to say, as much as I love my baby, there will be no more long road trips like this. I joked that if it takes more than 2 hours via car, we'll be flying. Chris laughed. I didn't.

After I got some sleep and woke up the next day, then I laughed to myself.

It's good to be home.

End Transmission.

No comments: