4/02/2010

Appreciate Who You Have

My baby came home today.

Those five words mean a lot. This past week has been an interesting one with drama, sadness and reflection. I touched on the drama already, so now let me touch on the sadness and reflection, and you'll understand why those five words mean a lot.

Thursday, March 25, I was arriving to work, and decided to stop and speak to the security officers in my building, as I do every morning. As I'm talking to them, my personal cell phone rings. It's Chris. In tears. Bawling. Obviously, something is wrong. However, at the time, I didn't know HOW wrong things were.

Anthony Taylor, who was a very well-known pastor in Richmond, Virginia (where Chris is from), and who was a big brother to Chris, was killed in a car crash caused by a stupid ass wanna-be thug running from Henrico County Police. When I heard those words, I just went numb. I immediately called my director and left for the day. I stayed home with Chris and made sure he was OK, and for the most part he was, save for the occasional outbursts of tears.

Fast-forward. The wake for Tony was held on Wednesday, March 31. At first Chris wasn't going to go, but after speaking with me and several other close confidantes, he decided to go. Work committments kept me at home, so Chris flew by himself and met up with our confidantes on the East Coast. He was gone for 4 days, catching up with friends, crying with loved ones, and spending time with family. I missed him. I missed him a lot.

Now for the reflection piece. Being in the house all alone for 3 out of the 4 days (my friend Tony hung out with me and stayed over one of the 4 nights) made me realize how lucky I am. I have a good job, money in the bank, two vehicles, a wonderful home, and a MAN. I think about him, and I thank Him (you'll get that statement on the way home). Chris is all that I could ask for...he's sweet, intelligent, attractive, silly, and a big kid.

But more imporantly, he's MY big kid. As I said on the last cruise to my true friends as we were sitting on the beach, I really love him.

End Transmission.

No comments: