4/22/2010

Karma

I had an interesting experience this morning. But before I can talk about that, I need to go back in time about 15 years.

15 years ago here in Chicago, Millenium Park used to be Grant Park. I was 18 then and just REALLY coming out of the closet with no guidance or role models whatsoever. My parents weren't talking to me, and I was pretty much house-hopping from place to place to keep from going home and dealing with all of that. Well one evening I was down in Grant Park hanging out with some guys (the wrong group of guys, as I found out years later), and there was this light skinned guy, kinda short, kinda attractive. I wanted to try and holla at him and see what he was about, and succeeded. We kicked it for a little while, but he was on a lot of bull. Needless to say I called him out on it (I was a hothead back then) and things got real ugly, real fast.

He pretty much dogged me out, talked about me really bad, and admitted to playing me for a fool...in front of everybody. For months after that, whenever I would see him he would talk about me real bad, didn't want to have anything to do with me, and even went as far as flaunting his new boyfriends (yes, plural) in front of me every chance he got. I was heartbroken, devastated...hell I was young and didn't know any better. But I got over it.

Fast forward 15 years to this morning.

As I'm leaving Dunkin Donuts (gotta love that coffee!) heading to work, guess who I see standing outside begging for money?

You guessed it!

I didn't snub him on the way out. I gave him a dollar. And here's the kicker. He thanks me for the dollar and asks me "is there anything I can do for you?"

Yeah there is something you can do. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. And I mean that.

Isn't it funny how Karma will turn on you?

End Transmission.

1 comment:

Cocoa Rican said...

There’s a story that still lives with me today…many, many years after the incident.
More than a decade ago I was in a long-term relationship with someone who loved me very much – so much so that he couldn’t see the disrespectful shit that I was back then. All said, after I betrayed my partner’s trust AND dropped him to move on with my life, I was heartbroken to find that the man I betrayed my partner for, betrayed me in the end. Isn’t that the way it works? Well, it was right after I was turned-out that I was on a treadmill at the gym…the stress of all the events had turned me on myself and anorexia was consuming my ass. Suddenly, I heard a voice say, “Cocoa?” I turned to see my exes pained expression staring back at me. I stepped off the treadmill ready to do battle. No doubt he had heard of my misfortune. Guilt has a way of making you think things that aren’t happening. In that moment I thought I’d make him feel better for what I had done to him a couple of years back. I said, “You’ll no doubt be happy to know that Redman cheated on me and completely disrespected me.” Time stood still and I waited for what seemed like forever for him to laugh or sneer, but instead he grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the gym where we could talk privately. His face wasn’t judgmental, he wasn’t gloating…to be honest, he looked pained. Once outside he didn’t immediately speak. He pulled me in and hugged me tight. He whispered in my ear, “I’m sorry that he hurt you.” When he released me and I was face-to-face with him again, his eyes had a glassy look reserved for someone who really was empathetic. I was shocked and shattered. I began sobbing like a 5-year old lost at a mall. He consoled me, told me to be strong and walked away.

Well, I’m not friends with that ex today, but I have a great deal of respect for him. Given the opportunity to kick me in the nuts, he chose to take the high road and his actions that day caught me completely off guard.

It’s great to see that you too took the high road. You did good kid… 